In 1901, the Manila Golf Club was organized and a course was laid out in Caloocan. In those days, there were very few golfers in Manila, and it was quite an undertaking for those who founded the club. However, it proved to be an attraction as the number of members increased steadily over the years.
In 1949, the course was transferred to Makati where the Club had, shortly after World War II, acquired a tract of land with an area of 44 hectares adjacent to Fort William Mckinley. The new course in Makati, measured 6,355 yards over rolling terrain, and par for the 18 holes was 72.
The present Manila Golf and Country Club came into existence in October 1959 by the merger of the Country Club Development, Inc. and the Manila Golf Club, Inc. The present course measures 6,325 yards from the championship tees with a par of 71.
The membership still remains cosmopolitan in character, but membership categories have changed to the present Proprietary; Company Proprietary and others, including Diplomatic Honorary Courtesy and Special Junior Associates.
Members who have continuously held membership in the Manila Golf Club and the Manila Golf & Country Club for a period of 35 years are honored by a special class of membership called Life Honorary Membership.